During Elders meetings, we are studying through our Doctrinal Statement and considering ways to help the congregation practice our beliefs. Below you will find a summary of resources that might be helpful for you. First, you will find the article and then questions that correspond to MCC ministry emphases. Special thanks to Will Toumey for gathering these resources and links into this format.
I. The Scriptures.
The Scriptures of the Old and New Testament were given by inspiration of God, and are the only sufficient, certain
and authoritative rule of all saving knowledge, faith and obedience; being inerrant in the original manuscripts. Psalm
19.7-10; Isaiah 40.6-8; Matthew 5.17-20; Romans 15.1-6; 2 Timothy 3.15-17; Hebrews 4.6-13; 2 Peter 1.19-21.
Discipleship: How are the Scriptures our guide for following Christ?
Fellowship: In what ways is the Bible the foundation of our fellowship?
Outreach: Why is a thorough biblical foundation essential for effective evangelism?
Prayer: What are some ways to use the Bible in prayer?
- Shorter Books
- Can I Trust the Bible? by R.C. Sproul
- What is the Bible? by Guy Waters
- Why Trust the Bible? by Greg Gilbert
- Taking God at His Word: Why the Bible is Knowable, Necessary, and Enough, and What That Means for You and Me by Kevin DeYoung
- Longer Books
- Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine by Wayne Grudem
- Why Believe the Bible? by John MacArthur
- A Peculiar Glory: How the Christian Scriptures Reveal Their Complete Truthfulness by John Piper
- Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible’s Accuracy, Authority, and Authenticity by James White
- God’s Word Alone: The Authority of Scripture by Matthew Barrett
- Can We Still Believe the Bible? by Craig Blomberg
- The Enduring Authority of the Christian Scriptures by D.A. Carson
- The Infallible Word: A Symposium by the Members of the Faculty of Westminster Theological Seminary
- Inerrancy and Worldview: Answering Modern Challenges to the Bible by Vern Poythress
- Inerrancy and the Gospels: A God-Centered Approach to the Challenges of Harmonization by Vern Poythress
- Canon Revisited: Establishing the Origins and Authority of the New Testament Books by Michael Kruger
- Other Books
- How to Eat Your Bible: A Simple Approach to Learning and Loving the Word of God by Nate Pickowicz
- How to Study the Bible by John MacArthur
- Knowing Scripture by R.C. Sproul
- According to Plan: The Unfolding Revelation of God in the Bible by Graeme Goldsworthy
- ESV Study Bible
- Bible Reading Plans
- Shorter Books
- Sermons, Lectures, Podcasts, or Articles
- MCC Sermons
- How Might We Follow the Reformers’ Concerns for “Scripture Alone”? by Todd Chipman
- Why Do Believers Gather Around God’s Word by Todd Chipman
- Why We Trust the Bible teaching series by Stephen Nichols
- God’s Peculiar Glory: How We Can Know the Bible is True by John Piper
- The Authority of the Bible by Martin Lloyd Jones
- What is the Bible? article collection by Ligonier
- MCC Sermons